Cattle Drive Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 8
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (10 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 (1.25 oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 3/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Place ground beef, onion and red bell pepper in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook until meat is browned and veggies are softened. Drain off grease and set aside.
- Stir in taco seasoning packet and salt and pepper, as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 cup cheddar cheese, green chiles and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine biscuit mix with 1 cup water (adding a little more water as needed) and mix together until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough into the bottom of greased baking dish, then place in oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove baking dish from oven and spread beef mixture over biscuit layer, then top with layer of diced tomatoes.
- Top everything off by spreading sour cream mixture over tomatoes, then cover with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Return baking dish to oven and cook for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Remove from oven, serve and enjoy.
Well, that’s all the news from the south,
Happy” farming” to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next time down on the farm.