GINGERBREAD CAKE WITH CINNAMON MOLASSES FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 oz milk yes, 9 oz
- 1 egg
For the Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 9 x 5 baking pan. Line with parchment paper after buttering.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice together. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and brown sugar together just until sugar is melted and is lukewarm.
- With another small saucepan, heat molasses and corn syrup until lukewarm as well.
- While both pans are cooling down a bit, cut cold butter into small pieces, add to flour mixture, and use pasty blender until mixture is fine crumbles.
- Once both pans have cooled to luke warm, add milk mixture to flour mixture, stir until blended then add molasses mixture. Stir.
- Add egg and whisk until well Incorporated.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in baking pan.
- Once cooled, remove from pan and wrap in foil for one day so the top will get sticky.
- Store in an airtight container.
For the Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon, mix well.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until creamy.
- Mix molasses into mixture and blend well.
- Refrigerate frosting until chilled then frost cake once cake has sat overnight.
Well, that’s all the news from the south,
Happy” farming” to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next time down on the farm.