GINGERBREAD CAKE WITH CINNAMON MOLASSES FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 oz milk yes, 9 oz
- 1 egg
For the Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 9 x 5 baking pan. Line with parchment paper after buttering.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice together. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and brown sugar together just until sugar is melted and is lukewarm.
- With another small saucepan, heat molasses and corn syrup until lukewarm as well.
- While both pans are cooling down a bit, cut cold butter into small pieces, add to flour mixture, and use pasty blender until mixture is fine crumbles.
- Once both pans have cooled to luke warm, add milk mixture to flour mixture, stir until blended then add molasses mixture. Stir.
- Add egg and whisk until well Incorporated.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in baking pan.
- Once cooled, remove from pan and wrap in foil for one day so the top will get sticky.
- Store in an airtight container.
For the Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon, mix well.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until creamy.
- Mix molasses into mixture and blend well.
- Refrigerate frosting until chilled then frost cake once cake has sat overnight.