Mounds Coconut Chocolate Balls!
- 1 can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (no substitutes)
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped/crushed pecans or almonds (optional) Any crushed nut would work as well
- 1 Pound sweetened Coconut
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 12 Oz of ghirardelli melting Chocolate (I used half white and half milk chocolate)
- In a Large Bowl combine the Sweetened Condensed Milk, Coconut, Crushed pecans & powdered sugar and mix well, set inside the freezer for 10 minutes. Trust me, it makes it easier.
- Once they are cold-ish, start rolling them into 1-1 1/2 inch balls and set on a baking sheet lined with wax paper..
Note If you get tired of rolling into small balls, you can make a few of them into small logs, like little candy bars!
- While rolling them into balls if they start to become too sticky, coat the balls in a little more coconut on the outsides and put them back in the freezer, I put them in the freezer on & off numerous times!
- I used a double broiler and it works amazing! It keeps the chocolate hot longer and you have more control over not burning or seizing the chocolate because of the indirect heat, perfect.
- Melt the chocolate and stir frequently. Exact temperature is not TOO important, just a good Medium-Low heat should be fine, the key is not to allow it to burn. You can tell its burning by the chocolate starting to clump together and losing its smoothness, if that happens, START OVER with a new batch of melting chocolate. I advise using melting chocolate like the brand I mention above because, from experience, it melts quicker,smoother and just overall works so much better!
- Once the chocolate is melted, you can begin your dipping! I used a toothpick at first, then switched to a fork for most of them, I personally found it easier, you can try both and decide whats easier for you though!
- The double boiler keeps the chocolate warm and smooth so you can turn the heat off once its completely melted.
- Only dip ONE at a time, I can’t stress this enough, if you try to do more then on at a time, the hot chocolate can ‘melt’ the balls and thats a whole new level of MESS that you won’t want!
- Dip each one and place each on a fresh sheet of wax paper, one at a time.
- Your first ones may not be the prettiest, but the more you do, you’ll get the hang of it!
- I stuck mine in the freezer for an hour after, which cooled them & I may have eaten a ‘few’ too! Gotta love the cold candy, YUM!
- I recommend storing them in an air-tight container & in the fridge.