Tomato Bisque Soup
- 1cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon butter
- 3cups tomato juice
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1(7 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3ounces tomato paste
- 1teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground pepper
- 1cup whipping cream
- 4teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4cup fresh basil
- 2tablespoons basil pesto
- In a large saucepan, cook celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender, but not brown.
- Add tomato juice, chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place half of the soup in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Stir in whipping cream and sugar; heat through. Stir in fresh basil. Ladle into warm soup bowls. Top each serving with some of the pesto and garnish with fresh basil leaves, if you like. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Well, that’s all the news from the south,
Happy” farming” to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next time down on the farm.