“Use coconut milk for a tropical twist on classic flan.”
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 6 (4-ounce) ramekins.
- Slowly melt sugar in a large skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until browned but not scorched, about 8 minutes. Divide caramel equally among the ramekins and allow to cool.
- Combine whole milk, coconut milk, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract in a saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until it begins to steam, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk 3 eggs together in a bowl; slowly pour beaten eggs into the warm milk mixture, whisking constantly until the custard is combined.
- Place ramekins in a casserole dish and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Divide custard evenly among ramekins, over the caramel sauce, about 1/2 inch from the top. Cover casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake in the preheated oven until the custard is set, about 1 hour. A knife gently inserted into the center of a flan should come out clean.
- Remove ramekins from the water bath and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving to chill completely. Run the tip of a paring knife around the edges to release the flan. Place a plate over the top of the ramekin and flip to release the flan onto the plate, caramel side up.
Well, that’s all the news from the south,
Happy” farming” to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next time down on the farm.