I love caprese salad and I’m always trying to find new ways to make chicken dishes and eat a bit healthier. Plus the basil in my garden is growing out of control! Everyone who’s made it raves about it and makes it again and again!”
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chickenThighs
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning (such as Grill Mates(R) Montreal Chicken Seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 (1/2 inch thick) slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 (1/2 inch thick) slices tomato
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Place chicken breasts, Italian salad dressing, Italian herb seasoning, and chicken seasoning into a resealable plastic bag, knead bag several times to coat chicken with marinade, and squeeze air from the bag. Seal and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Pour canola oil into a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Heat the oil until a small droplet of water pops in the oil. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard used marinade. Place chicken breasts into hot oil, fry for 2 minutes, and flip chicken.
- Place skillet into the preheated oven and bake until chicken is no longer pink inside and the juices run clear, about 12 minutes. Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese and a tomato slice.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese has melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer chicken breasts to a serving platter and top each with a basil leaf and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Well, that’s all the news from the south,
Happy” farming” to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next time down on the farm.